Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 4 - An Unexpected Break

DVD - Cardio Recovery

The welcome insert says "Don't get your hopes up - it isn't the recovery you're expecting. But it should help you prepare your body and muscles for more Insanity"

They were half right. It wasn't what I was expecting, but "hopes"? I wasn't exactly jumping with joy over what I was expecting.

I was expecting it would be a toned down cardio workout - or, because it's Insanity, something crazy. Instead it was a bunch of stretching, slow resistance moves, and even some yoga poses. This DVD is designed to stretch the whole body with extra focus on hips, quads, hamstrings, groin and arms/shoulders. No warm up or cool down, just a methodical working of the body.

My favorite new move was primarily for the glutes but also works your abs, quads & arms/shoulders. You start with your hands and knees on the floor in bench position. Your hands on the ground should be under your shoulders. Then raise your knees 5 or 6 inches from the ground, so you are balancing on your toes but putting most of your weight on your arms. Now extend a leg backward so that your leg and back are in a straight line and pulse the leg 8 times. Repeat with the other leg. Then you do it again but with 16 pulses for each leg.

I was sore today before the stretch session, but not as sore as I thought I would be last night when I was walking like a duck and it also felt like I was less sore than I'd been when I woke up the morning after Plyo. Now that I'm all stretched out, I'm feeling even better. I can skip the soak in the tub.

There really isn't much else to say. The workout was pretty straight-forward and not a challenge for me. I'll do this one once a week, every Thursday. With the rest day on Sunday, that means I'll never have more than 3 consecutive nights of intense cardio every week.

Tomorrow I get to do Pure Cardio - "intense and extreme cardio all the way - no rest!"

Oh JOY!

I think maybe Shaun is a sadist: tease me with an easy one before kicking my ass harder than ever.

Who wants to be my lifeline in case I need someone to come scrape me off the floor?

No comments:

Post a Comment