Saturday, January 23, 2010

Days 19 & 20

Day 19 DVD - Cardio Power & Resistance
Day 20 DVD - Plyometric Cardio Circuit


My ankle is still bothering me, and it affected my ability to do both of these workouts. I pushed through as much as I could, but found that the further into the workout, the harder some specific moves became. The ankle hurts on the inside, above the bone and to the back. The moves that hurt are the ones that involve a quick directional change (like suicides) or pressure on the inner part of the ankle (like football sprints) or jumping from and landing in a squat (like power jumps).

It's not incredibly painful, but I can feel its weakness as I try moves in the families of those I mentioned above. I considered maybe trying to wrap my ankle before the next workout to see if added support would help, but I am worried that might cause me to work it to hard without noticing, to my later detriment. Instead, I think I will continue to make modifcations to the workout so that I am still keeping up the cardio pace. For example, tonight during the power jumps I just did jumping jacks. Still an up and down cardio movement, but without so much pressure on my inner ankle.

Not falling back on my ability with the cardio is important. I'm just about to go into my last week of this first set of DVDs. Next month, the workouts get harder in that they get longer, so I want my endurance to continue to increase. I noticed that as at first I tried to force myself to continue without modification I was struggling more to get through the cardio. Because the cardio is so intense for me still, I think I need to be as close to 100% physically when I start each workout as possible. Any diversion of my focus to some other twinge or ailment makes it harder for me mentally to push myself through the cardio because I rather obviously don't want to hurt myself more.

No comments:

Post a Comment